Monday, March 11, 2013

From Driving Machine to New Orleans

Photo taken at a New Mexico rest area.
I drove a twelve hour day (only stopping for gas/bathroom breaks, so I didn't take many landscapes) on Sunday and finally made it to NOLA (New Orleans, Louisiana) through torrential rains most of the way through the state.

The evening in NOLA was clear and warm (a balmy 70 degrees). The next morning I awoke to gray, overcast skies and much rain. It put a damper on things until about noon today and walking about was nice.

This street car isn't named Desire.
Yes, walking. I'm walking my legs off. The Big Easy is not so easy to get around in. Rather vast and LOTS to see. Can't say I'm loving it. The city is basically given over to partying (drinking, gambling, smoking, and music...oh, and eating).

It's Spring Break and there are LOTS of twenty-somethings milling about. None of the bits of music I caught last night were as good as Mickey Scott's band in San Antonio (I'll post a video of them doing Blue Suede Shoes on my author Facebook page). Some good outdoor jazz here this afternoon though at the French Market. I did pop into a few clubs here last night (and there are a LOT of them) but I didn't like it. Not my scene.

On Decator Street (Rue).
I explored more broadly today. I have not and will not visit Bourbon Street (where the debauchery runs wild and rampant). I strolled along Decater, Royal and Pirate's Alley mostly. Royal is a lot nicer than Decater. The city is quite old and trashy, but Royal looks pretty good if you don't look down at the street (which is decrepit).

On Royal Rue.
I have over 100 photos already, so I can only show a few here. I tried to capture the influence on Disney's New Orleans Square and you can definitely see where they got their inspiration. Disney is so much cleaner and bright though.

I can also see why the bookstores I contacted wouldn't host me; they are so small and deal mostly in used books anyway. I saw Beckham's Books and the Faulkner House (I'll have to share that picture series later due to space formatting issues).

Jambalaya with Red Beans and Rice.
As far as eating goes, I couldn't get into Cafe du Monde (specializing in beignets and French roast chicory coffee) due to the crowds and lines. Nor have I been able to eat at Johnny's Po' Boys for the same reasons. I did eat jambalaya and red beans and rice with a Barq's root beer (they didn't have sweet tea) at Cafe Maspero and that was quite good.

The red beans and rice were heavy on the beans, spicy and tasty with cooked to perfection veggies (the "holy trinity" of green peppers, onions and celery) and tasso (smoked ham). The jambalaya was heavy on the rice (like rice pilaf) with only a little andouille, shrimp and veggies and not very spicy (I make better). I also had a praline from "the best praline" shop in the city and I make them just as good.

The original House of Blues facade.
I probably won't do Cafe du Monde, but I still hope to eat at Johnny's and the Gumbo Pot and I might try to get some Shrimp Creole someplace (maybe in Houma where I hope to catch some live Zydeco which they don't really do here).

Shopping-wise, I bought myself some gumbo file for making gumbo (a  thickner made from sassafras) and an apron that says I'm an Honorary Cajun.

French Market Plaza (Can you see
where Disney got inspired?)
Tomorrow I take a Haunted New Orleans Tour and check out a few more local "attractions" (touristy must-dos). The next day I'll do the Honey Island Swamp Tour and head down to Houma.

BTW: If you click on the pictures you can see them larger.


1 comment: