Friday, October 31, 2014

An Interview with Author G. S. (Scott) Coltman

G. S. Coltman, author
G.S. (Scott) Coltman is one of three authors joining me in the Local Indie Author Book Booth at the Early Bird Holiday Bazaar in the Astoria Armory on November 15. I just met him a couple of weeks ago, but I was immediately taken by him and his new book, 'Max's Great Sea Adventure.' I asked him to join me at the bazaar, and I also asked that he tell us a bit more about his work. 

Here's what we had to talk about:

Q: Hi Scott, thanks for answering a few questions for us. Tell me, what prompted you to write?

A: I moved to Seaside after being diagnosed with cancer in March 2013. A slower life. less stress, and clean beach air appealed to me and fired up my creative juices. I had written some short stories and poetry previously, but never published. Why not now!

Q: Your book, what's it about? Give us your elevator pitch.

A: Max, a young Sandpiper, gets the attention of the bullies in his flock. From taking their unwise dare, he finds himself violently washed out to sea where he meets a new group of friends, led by Pete the Puffin on Sea Bird Rock. Overcoming his fears through the encouragement of his new friends and remembering the mantras of his father to be self confident, Max grows both literally and figuratively.

Q: Cool. Sounds like a great message.What was your inspiration?

A: My own children and the memories of when I taught elementary age children to read and the joy of self discovery as they used there imagination to 'enhance' the story.

Q: Who did your illustrations?

A: Hilbert Bermejo; he was selected by my publisher.

Q: So, who should read your book?

A: Everybody!

Q: Of course (lol). What is/was your writing process?

A: Start with a single screen shot, and build. Mine started while I was walking on the beach and observing nature. I picked up some shells, saw the flock of sandpipers, and saw a sneaker wave wash in and catch the flock on the beach.

Q: Are you working on other books" What might they be?

A: Currently I'm working on 'Princess Viola and the Amazing Journey'. It's a story for young girls to read and absorb themselves into.

Q: Okay, Scott, where can people buy 'Max's Great Sea Adventure'?

A: From me! Just give me a call at 503-960-1040, or pick it up in Seaside at Beach Books, in Gearhart at Romancing the Home, or online at Amazon or Barnes/Noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment