Wednesday, August 21, 2013

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: James L. Rubart, Christy Award Winner for "Soul's Gate"

James L. Rubart, author
I first picked up a copy of BOOK OF DAYS by James L. Rubart on a discount table at Barnes and Noble. I loved it and immediately went back for ROOMS which I loved even more. To date it's still my favorite book. I have poured through everything he's written since. I was fortunate to meet Jim at a conference and he was not only inspirational in his presentations, he was gracious and friendly in person. We've been Facebook friends ever since and he quickly agreed to an interview when I asked him. You're going to enjoy this one.

Q: Why thrillers, Jim?

A: Are my novels thrillers? I’ll take that as compliment because I get bored easily when reading and you seem to be saying my books move fast and are hard to put down. The truth is my novels don’t fit neatly into any one genre. There’s definitely a strong flavoring of the supernatural, adventure, a splash of romance, soul issues … but truly, I’ve never thought about genre, I’m just writing the kind of stories I would want to read.

Q: I recently blogged about “writing what you know” and commented on how well you know the Pacific Northwest. I also noted you seem to have quite an imagination when it comes to spiritual things. How do you come up with these things? Are you involved in some deep spiritual mentoring group like the characters in your Well Springs series?

A: I’m not involved in a specific group, but I’ve always wanted to go beyond the norm that I see in much of Christianity. I think there’s so much more to God than we allow; certainly in the westernized culture we live in. Many of us take the most speculative, supernatural, fantastical book ever written—the Bible—and turn it into a list of rules, dos and don’ts, and principles.

I try to push my readers to think beyond that. I got an e-mail recently from a pastor who asked, “Where did you get your training? Where can my staff and I get more teaching like the things in your book?” I loved it. Loved hearing about people who are pressing into the deeper things of God.

James L. Rubart high-fiving after being awarded a Christy.
Q: You’ve got a new book out called Memory’s Door. It seems like yesterday that Soul’s Gate cameout [which recently was awarded The Christy] and not long before that The Chair. You’ve got a day job, how do you manage to crank out such good work so fast?

A: I consider myself incredibly fortunate that God gave me an ability to write fast with okay results. For the most part, I simply sit back, let the movie screen in my mind start, and I transcribe what I see. And I’m also extremely fortunate to have truly incredible editors who take the first draft and make suggestions that turn the finished product into something far beyond what I could have done on my own.

Q: What’s your writing schedule like?

A: Intensely sporadic. I’ll go weeks without writing anything, then I’ll go on a writing binge where I’ll write 2,500 – 3,000 words a day for three weeks. I’m fortunate to have an amazingly supportive wife.

Q: How many books will there be in the Well Springs series counting Soul’s Gate and Memory’s Door? And how often will they come out?

A: There are three books in the series, Soul’s Gate which came out last November, Memory’s Door (which as you know, just released) and the third, titled, The Spirit Bridge, which releases spring of 2014.

Q: What was your process for ‘breaking in’ [with Rooms and Book of Days] as a writer? How long did it take? Were there rejections?

A: Yes, rejections! Plenty. I went to my first writing conference in the spring of ’06 and was fortunate to meet a number of people that were extremely supportive and encouraging. Through a variety of circumstances I signed with my first agent in the fall of ’06. He shopped Rooms to all the major publishers and they all said, “No.” But one of them, David Webb, said, “If Rooms doesn’t sell in six months, bring it back to me.” A year later (publishing is glacial) I did, and nine months after that I had an offer from B&H Fiction. I ended up doing three books with B&H before moving to Thomas Nelson in the spring of 2011.

Q: The running themes through all your books are forgiveness and restoration. Why?

A: I think everyone has a theme that is at the core of their life—whether they know it or not. When I consult with other authors, I tell them I can figure out the theme of their life (and how they should brand/market themselves) if they’ll tell me what their three favorite movies are. In other words, what they are drawn to—what resonates with them—tells me what is deep inside them.

What resonates most deeply with me is the theme of my life is freedom. I’ve been all about that since I was a kid. I believe most of us have too many chains around our bodies holding us back from our God designed destinies … and if we can find freedom, we can step into the glory God planned for us from before the beginning of time. So that’s what I write about.

Q: Let’s talk about Memory’s Door which I am about to begin. Both the Kindle edition ($9.99) and the paperback ($15.99) came out August 6, 2013. What can reader’s expect?

A: Freedom from regret. I believe we all carry regrets, and Memory’s Door hits that issue head on and I believe it will set people free from the devastation of holding onto the past. Also, if readers liked Soul’s Gate, I think they’ll like Memory’s Door even more. The stakes are higher, the lows are lower and the battles are more epic. There were a number of scenes that brought dust to my eyes as I wrote them, and that’s always a good sign that I’ve captured a few elements that will go to the deep parts of people’s hearts.

Q: What would you wish readers to know about you? Like, what do you do in your (LOL) ‘spare time’?

A: Spare time? Sorry, don’t understand the phrase. Seriously, I love spending time with my wife, I love water skiing, backpacking, playing guitar, golfing, photography, doing the occasional sleight of hand, hanging out with my sons and of course, reading.

Q: My wife wants to know: What else inspires you? And how much are your characters invention and how much is based on people you know?

A: Your wife asks a great question. I believe it’s true that we can’t write what we don’t know about, so most of my characters are expressions of the various sides of my personality—my fears and strengths and weaknesses. But in some cases I’ve simply taken a person from real life and stuck them into my novel. For example, the character, A.C., in The Chair is a based entirely on a close friend of mine. He’s one of those rare, larger than life type people and I simply plopped him into the story exactly as he is in real life.

Q: Some of my blog readers are other writers. I’ve seen you speak at a conference and your message was invaluable. Where can other writers meet you and hear you speak in the near future?

A: Thanks, Greg, I appreciate that. The best way to connect with me is on my Website/blog and Facebook. I just launched a new website and if people sign up for my newsletter they’ll be able to find out where I’m speaking, find out about the occasional freebie I’m giving away, and the release of new books.

Q: I’m sure we all want to know: Who are your favorite authors? What do you read? Do you even have time?

A: I vaguely remember those days—when I read a book for pleasure, when I had time to read. Sounds funny, doesn’t it, that I don’t have? But it’s true. When I used to read a lot, I read Ted Dekker who has become a friend, Karen Hancock, C.S. Lewis, Robert Ludlum, Orson Scott Card, George McDonald and a million others. Most of what I’m reading these days are other author’s manuscripts for possible endorsement—and most of the time I don’t even get a chance to do that.

Q: And finally, what advice would you give a new writer?

A: The best advice (but the most difficult to do) is to think of writing as you would becoming a surgeon. To break in, your writing can’t be great. It has to be exceptional. I find most aspiring writers (and this included me when I was starting out) think their craft is further along than is really is.

I like the story of the woman who came up to one of the world’s most famous violinists after a concert and praised him lavishly. She ended her comments by saying, “You’re so wonderful. I’d give my life to be able to play like you.” He responded by saying, “I did.”

Q: Reminds me of the story about a woman lost in New York city. She sees a man dressed in a tuxedo, carrying a violin case. She asks him, "Pardon me, sir, how do you get to Carnegie Hall." He answers, "Practice, practice, practice." Please continue.

A: Most people who want to write, don’t want to pay the price. But if they do, I tell them to start reading excellent writing blogs like Rachelle Gardner’s, to go to writing conferences, buy books on the craft and studying them like they are studying to be a brain surgeon. It takes years of dedication and intense hard work to become a brain surgeon. Same thing for writers.

If it’s your destiny, step into it strong and with belief. Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down. It will set you free. 

Q: Thanks, Jim, for sharing with us. Great stuff! We'll close off with posting your new video.


A: Thanks much for having me, Greg!

You can find, friend and follow James L. Rubart at:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JamesLRubart

Twitter: @jameslrubart

Website: http://jameslrubart.com/


Memory's Door Available now!

Memory's Door email sig cover 353 7 '13  Soul's Gate email sig 353 7 '13  ROOMS .  Book of Days Final cover 10 28 '10  ROOMS for email 7 23 '13
FB logo twitter_newbird_boxed_blueonwhite

James L. Rubart is the best-selling and Christy award winning author of, ROOMS, BOOK OF DAYS, THE CHAIR, SOUL’S GATE, and MEMORY’S DOOR. During the day he runs Barefoot Marketing which helps businesses and authors make more coin of the realm. In his free time he dirt bikes, hikes, golfs, takes photos, and occasionally does sleight of hand. No, he doesn’t sleep much. He lives with his amazing wife and teenage sons in the Pacific Northwest and still thinks he’s young enough to water ski like a madman. More at www.jameslrubart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment