Friday, May 2, 2014

EXCITING BREAKING NEWS: New Contract Signed

It was Saturday, April 19.

I'd just spent the day with my friend and fellow writer, Will Glessner, knocking around ideas, hopes, dreams, and random talk about movies, music and general mayhem. Over a couple of games of Pass the Pigs we discussed our writing projects. I lamented that I was having trouble finding an illustrator for "'I'm Samson,' said Sydney" a children's picture book I'd written several years back and had recently renewed interest in publishing.

We wrapped up our day and on the way home I stopped into one of my favorite local indie bookstores, Cover to Cover Books & Espresso, to check on a book I wanted. A local author/illustrator was just finishing up a Launch Party for her new book "The Sock Thief." I loved the art on the easel and struck up a brief conversation. I bought her book and we exchanged contact info.

After studying the beautiful and detailed work in her book I sent her an email pitching my own book and asked if we might work together. We met last week and discussed the project for which she was excited. After throwing ideas around and talking terms we came to a "gentleman's agreement"--we would work together and I drew up the formal contract.

Today, we signed that contract! And she had done twelve preliminary sketches for our meeting. Let me just say that I was more than pleased and they are amazing! I will be sharing one of them with you very soon. You can look forward to seeing other illustrations as we move along with the project. The book will be published before Thanksgiving this year and be available for the Christmas gift-giving season. This is going to be a great book for the toddlers in your life.

Also, and this is even weirder. My books are available in Jacobsen's Books & Gifts in Hillsboro, Ore. and I'm scheduled to appear there on July 26 (which I have been for nearly a month). All during the summer, every Saturday, they have a table outside of their store featuring local authors. There are a couple dozen appearing over the summer in pairs each week. Now here's the weird thing: I have been paired with April Bullard and no one knew we were collaborating!

I think that's a God thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment