Monday, April 8, 2013

Of Amish, Agents and the Awakened Dead

I met with an agent this week and pitched THE AMISH vs THE ZOMBIES


He laughed at the title (as does everyone), but it piqued his interest. He admitted to me that evangelical publishers might be reticent to taking on such a topic (since it seems paranormal, which it is not). But he also said, "send me a proposal" (which I am working on)!

What I've got is a coming of age story set (mostly) in an Amish community. The community and the lead character (Hannah) are challenged by a zombie attack. (Note: The zombies are not a result of religious practice, but I won't give away anymore here.) The book is quite graphic at times but it also shares the Gospel. The latter makes it less acceptable/attractive to a secular publisher.

So you see the dilemma.


Still, there is hope on either side of the fence. Preferably and ideally, I would like to have an evangelical house pick it up and their parent company (secular) publish it for wider distribution. (The evangelical market is only 8% of the whole and really isn't my target market.)

And I really despise marketing and pitching, so I'd really like to land an agent to do that for me. Furthermore,  I really liked the agent I spoke with; I felt good about him. I hope he felt the same about me. I hope it works out.

Really.

Thus I covet your prayers while I prepare this package, send the proposal, and await his response. Could you pray now through Thursday about my prep and Friday through Monday about his response? I would appreciate the intersession very much. Thanks

ALSO: If you haven't seen it lately, I updated my BOOKS page (see tabs above).

No comments:

Post a Comment