Saturday, May 16, 2015

Special Success Stories: "Louie, the Lonely Lighthouse"

Cover Art for Louie, the Lonely Lighthouse

Just over two weeks ago I ordered in sixty copies of the new book Louie, the Lonely Lighthouse. Now, two weeks later, I have barely a dozen in stock which I expect will fly out the door by the day's end. 


To you this may not seem like a significant number as book sales go, and it's not. This is no New York Times Bestseller (yet), but it is MY bestseller to date. None of my other books has gotten off to such a start (though most have sold more copies over time).

The number I have personally sold doesn't even take into account online sales which have also proven brisker "out of the gate" than my other titles. I am in no way sharing this news to brag on myself; I had little to do with it really. Basically, I wrote a few words and got them published. I did some marketing as well, but I've done that for my other books, too.

This initial success comes primarily, I believe, from publishing the right book at the right time and getting it before the right eyes. It is a good word (that touches people emotionally) and I believe the work was inspired. I was simply faithful to what I felt. I was inspired by my coastal surroundings, moved by a metaphor that I felt inside, and penned the story as faithfully as I could. The fact that the book is commercially viable (and a fundraiser for lighthouses) also contributes to its popularity.

Enter the Artist


Roxanne and I at the Book Launch for Louie, the Lonely Lighthouse
Of course, I would be remiss not to acknowledge the wonderful illustrative work that accompanies the text. The art, by Oregon coast artist Roxanne Bowman, is, I believe, also inspired.  The timing for her contribution was perfect as well.

Though we met two years ago at a book fair, we'd only talked about working on the project together after I wrote the story this year. We formally partnered on it just six weeks before the publication date. And no sooner had the book been published than did her home on the coast sell and put into motion her move to Costa Rica where I would never have reached her.

I believe the Lord has had His hand in this project all along. It all happened quickly and it happened through insurmountable odds. Roxanne was constantly bombarded throughout her production, but our God opened windows of opportunity every time Satan attacked. (The ordeal is a story in itself, so I won't go into it here.)

So why is this book so important? 


I think it's the message. So many people feel worthless just like Louie. They feel forgotten and unloved. And this book brings a message of hope. It is a reminder that "God don't make junk" and has a plan for your life--that we all have a place where we are to shine.

You can purchase a copy from Amazon if you'd like, or (better yet) pick a copy up from one of the bookstores that carry it, or ask for it at a bookstore that doesn't to have it ordered in. Or, if you wish to have a signed copy, order a copy from me. I am restocking because I have some bulk orders to fill at lighthouses and maritime museums around the country, BUT...

Special Limited Edition Signed Copies


Louie's illustrator Roxanne Bowman
If you want a copy signed by Roxanne, I have only four of those. And, since she is moving out of the country, getting those hereafter won't be cheap or easy. She's signed them "Everyone has value..." with her signature and I've signed them "Shine on..." with mine.

This is significant because as a child Roxanne was told she would amount to nothing, and even though she's struggled with MS for much of her life, through sheer determination to prove everyone wrong, she was the first in her family to earn a college degree and has become a successful artist.

These special limited copies will be rare keepsakes and you (being one of the first four to respond) can have one for $20 post-paid.

Drop me a note at: gregory.zschomler@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment