Sunday, March 24, 2013

"Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?"

Water Moccasins  Cotton Mouths and Diamond Back Rattlers. Just some of the lovely reptiles I saw in the swamps of Louisiana. I saw more of them than I did alligators.

Believe me, I wouldn't want to go swimming in the bayous. Some were two or more inches around and nearly four feet long.

There were also plenty of turtles and birds (including a very large horned owl) as well as lizards.

While in New Orleans I saw maybe a 100 antebellum mansions and just outside of the city I viewed three plantation mansions. To the right is a picture of one of the plantation homes along the Mississippi River.

Nearby I found a Spanish Mission. These finds were serendipitous, as I took a wrong turn on my way to Houma (the town where the boys in my Bayou Boys Adventure series live) in Cajun Country.

In Houma I visited this Cajun Dance Hall (below) where a private fais do do was about to begin. I couldn't stay as I wanted to get back before dark.

While in the area I visited the French Quarter, the Garden District (the setting of many Anne Rice novels), took a Haunted History Tour, drove to Slidell and did the Honey Island Swamp Tour (the primary setting of my upcoming book MARSH MONSTER), and drove to Houma.

I took in LOTS of music in a variety of genres from Jazz and Blues, to Zydeco and Country. There was music everywhere in NOLA! In bars and on the street. Below is one of my favorites.

I also partook of a variety of local cuisine--all of which was delicious. I visited many book stores including the Faulkner House and I will share these in an upcoming post.

The areas architectural styles were also a highlight and I have many pictures to share.

The research I did for my upcoming books will be invaluable. I took lots of pictures and made many notes that will prove most useful in creating the the world of the stories.

Be sure and stay tuned to this blog. The adventure isn't over.

No comments:

Post a Comment